Monday, October 24, 2005

Monday, Monday...

The boys are off to school. Tod is at work. I am waiting for the cable guy and listening to my iPod. Got a copy of Tim and Maggie's entrance in the iPod contest. They wrote and performed a wonderful song which I'm sure will win them another iPod like they won last year. Good Luck Magnusons!!

Nichole was here yesterday, so Tod and I got to go to a movie. We saw "Good Night and Good Luck". Great movie! David Strathairn was wonderful as Murrow and the supporting cast was ..well, excellently supportive. If you don't know much about the McCarthy hearings this is an entertaining way to find out.

We also got to eat out, which we don't do very after. Carry out is our thing. We found out that there is a great Japanese restautant with carry out just up the road next to our pharmacy. We thought it was just a sushi bar, but oh my, their vegetable tempura is to die for! We also had Udon noodles and beef sukiyaki with sticky rice. Yummy, yummy! We're still looking for a good pizza place. Californians don't know how to make pizza. This is especially obvious when you're from the Chicago area or have ordered pizza from Linos or Johns or Primos or Marias in Belvidere and know what good pizza is. Even their Pizza Hut pizza tastes nothing like it does at home and costs a lot more! All food costs are high, groceries, too. Our biggest expenses are rent and food. A realtor came by to try to talk me into selling the house. I told him we rented but he gave me the seller's packet anyway. Get this - during the past 3 months homes in our neighborhood sold for an average of $935,000. All those news stories about SF and silicon valley having outrageous housing costs are true! Anyone who has been here knows that we have a pretty small 4 bedroom home with an eat-in kitchen, two baths, small front room, small family room and fenced in yard with patio. Nothing worth close to $1M. Not to me anyway and I really like this house.

I've been working on the boys' halloween costumes. They have their partys at school this Friday which is a 1/2 day and they trick or trick Monday which is teacher's institute or whatever they call it here. I will definitely get a picture up here sometime.

The cable guy is still not here. I have errands to run and things to buy for the costumes and for the show I'm doing in December. Well, it's not really a show, it's a shopping day at Dylan's school. You donate money to the PTA for a table and then you get to keep all your profits. This is only the second year they have done it, but last year they had 40 vendors and lots of buyers. You can sell anything from crafts to Discovery Toys. It's my first venture into selling on the west coast so I hope it goes well. I know the one year I set up a table at Fairview during lunch hour (which Ms. Bev so kindly set up for me), I did really well. So here's hoping for the best and hoping I can get my butt in gear and get everything done.

til later....

No comments: